Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Details Matter

 Recently I sent an inquiry to a car dealer about a car that I was interested in.  In the inquiry I had a specific question.  The response from the salesperson included a misspelling of my last name and a different answer to my question.  I felt like the salesperson didn't take the time to listen.  This cost him a possible sale from me.
The teacher-student relationship is based on clear communication.  It is important that both parties take the time to listen to each other.  It is a great idea to confirm that the students’ needs and questions are addressed.  Usually there are learning gems in the question and answer.  I love getting questions because it indicates an interest and perhaps a "detail" that I left out.  Also it’s very likely that other students have the same questions.
In dancing I hear that the details make a big difference.  It is very often that dancers get pattern-oriented.  They want more and more elaborate patterns.  But the dance patterns sometimes don't work correctly until the details are added.  A simple Box pattern can be made to look like a silver or gold pattern just by adding some details.  Watch and listen for the dancing details; they really do matter.
 Here are some dancing details that you may consider next time you take the floor:
 -    Keeping the head up and back.  Not only does it look good but it helps with maintaining good posture.
-    Guys should close their fingers of their right hand on the lady's back
-    Pull up through the center of levitation; it is easier to dance when you are light
-    Use the proper part of your foot; it makes a difference
-    Remember good etiquette on the dance floor; know your abilities so everyone can dance comfortably
Dancing is a form of communication.  Remember that the details matter in your communication with your partner and dancing.
Yours truly,
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment