Tuesday, March 6, 2012

When Did I Start Dancing????


This is the most common question asked by my students.  Dancing has always been a part of my life.  It is my life.  Since I could walk my family would take me along to parties.  They became my first teachers as I was exposed to the cha cha, the boogie which you may know as the lindy hop, and tango.  This was my first exposure to partner dancing.  Little did I know this was the beginning of my life story as a dancer.  As a child watching movies like Cinderella and Sound of Music I yearned to sing and dance like Julie Andrews and the other stars.  I guess that is where my theatrical nature started.  As a child I attended one of the top schools in the Philippines where our school books were written in English.  This posed as a challenge for me since English was not my native language.  This challenge forced me to communicate through body language.  As I started to learn and develop my dancing skills it proved to be a great asset in my development as a dancer.  I learned numerous styles of dance – ballet, jazz, flamenco, and ballroom to name a few.  I remember my dance teacher would give us a symbol and tell us to interpret it through dance.  These exercises taught me creativity and how to transform myself into anything I wanted to be.  I guess this is why I’m such a stickler for showing expression through movements with my students today. 
After high school I knew dance would be part of me forever.  At that time I was chosen to perform during intermission for a dance sport competition in Manila.  At that event I was noticed by the head of the Department of Culture of the Philippines and was chosen to be trained by world champion Paul Bishop.  I was honored to work with Paul Bishop and later on assisted him with numerous workshops around the country. 

This led me to become the owner of my own dance studio in the Philippines and a regional trainer in the Philippines.  The reason I dance is because its my passion.  My family has always inspired me and that inspiration drives me to inspire my students.  Dance allows me to share that love with my students.
See you on the dance floor!
Rosario

7 comments:

  1. Rosario,
    You are such a patient and supportive teacher, you make learning dance a truly enjoyable and exciting journey!
    Hal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all for the support. Keep on dancing! I love you all! Rosario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why I’ve been taking dance lessons with Rosario for over five years:

    Let’s skip the usual items: She’s a talented and superb dancer, she loves her craft, is an enthusiastic and supportive teacher, very patient when you get it wrong fifteen times in a row, and focuses on the key to good dancing: fundamental technique, rather than a lot of fancy patterns executed poorly.

    Now for the really interesting stuff–

    1. Ever since she got her driver’s license, she’s been using automobile analogies in her dancing lessons. This has greatly improved my beltway driving skills.

    2. She has such a huge array of different outfits, wigs, hair styles, eyelashes, and makeup that sometimes you don't recognize her when she enters the room. Either that, or she is really five sisters who take turns. I figure she lives in a closet with the rest of her place serving as a costume storage facility.

    3. She has her own version of English (Rosario-English dictionary coming out soon). E.g.: “Take cute steps.” [cute=small] “Do this with a bended knee.” [Shakespearean for “bent”]

    4. She puts so much emphasis on keeping your spine straight that there is no longer any need for a student to see a chiropractor.

    5. She can dance men’s and women’s parts with equal facility. But she doesn’t fool me - she sure looks like a woman.

    6. Her mother makes fantastic lumpia, which Rosario often brings to parties.

    Who else can offer all this?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. This website is without a doubt great; it offers us the most convenient plus hassle-free accessibility of the most handy back links we might use in your regular doing the job timetable.
    Premium Directory

    ReplyDelete